Monday, June 13, 2011

Ok, here is the truth

So, can i just feel like an idiot right now. So this weekend i FINALLY got to go to a colony and asked the million dollar question in my mind. Why doesn't the government help out with leprosy? I got a blank stare from the doctor talking. The Government does help. I fell silent. Then after the meeting i went and talked to the doctor privately. I HAD EVERYTHING WRONG. The government STRONGLY encourages all citizens to be tested for it, AND they offer a cure. FOR FREE. The World Health organization provides all the necessary medicine to cure the people with leprosy.

So now with this new information, you might be wondering what my sister and I are doing here. Pretty much Leprosy is still SOCIALLY a horrible disease, but not the government. The reason there are colonies, is that is where they can live together and help each other. We go out to the colonies and help medically because Leprosy affects the nervous system. Which means when you touch something hot and pull your hand away out of reflect, that is your nervous system reacting and people who have been effected with leprosy don't have those feelings in their hands or feet or both. And this leads to ulcers and other infections because they cant feel anything. Also having leprosy can lead to deformities, that make it difficult to perform daily tasks. so we (or the teams, not me yet) go and help them clean their wounds, and make it so that their ulcers can heal.

So i wanted to say i am very sorry i misinformed any of you, It was not my intentions. I feel really bad for leading some of you astray. So it is now like midnight here and i need to get some sleep. Take care everyone. And i will post blog soon.

Kisses and hugs

Lex

1 comment:

joy said...

lex..thanks so much for all of your info! and pictures!
look forward to hearing all about your time there! say hi to amanda for me Love to you both grammee